"Take no thought of who is right or wrong or who is better than. Be not for or against. "
- Bruce Lee
Do you remember having those cakes in your childhood that were frosted and coated with buttercream?
Honestly, I do.
Being the only medium in olden days with a rich taste and texture buttercream gained a lot of popularity. But slowly, with the invention of new styles, new mediums and variations buttercream lost the race. After a long time finally, buttercream is regaining its popularity due to its versatile nature.
Buttercream is a mixture of butter and sugar that has been creamed together to make a fluffy frosting. Buttercream is used for filling, icing, and decorating cakes and pastries. It is no surprise that the fat used in buttercream is butter that is where the name comes from. There are few recipes which call for other fats, like shortening, to create a more stable style of buttercream called decorators buttercream. In today’s blog, we are going to focus on the benefits of buttercream.
- Its easy to colour buttercream and the colours look really rich and bright and have a natural shine.
- You can flavour it a zillion ways and use it as both filling and cake toppings.
- Its perfect medium to pipe borders, flowers, and patterns.
- Can be used to pipe letterings too.
- Buttercream formula is very forgiving and there are very rare chances of going wrong with the recipe.
- Buttercream has a lot of FAT content giving it a rich and very luxurious taste and texture.
- Very Stable in a hot and humid climate.
- Odd shapes and figure can be carved and coated easily using buttercream due to its crusting nature.
- Versatile medium which can be paired with wafer paper, fondant, edible lace, bean paste, gumpaste, modeling chocolate.
There are a variety of styles of buttercreams all varying in their degree of difficulty to make. Each style of buttercream has different pros and cons as well as best uses in the pastry kitchen. In our next blog we will speak in detail about the types of buttercream along with each of their recipes.
Until then DASVIDANIYA!!!