Since we are at home and this is the only time we are getting to ourselves, we can learn a new skill. Lately, we have realized that every morning when we wake up, we are quite confused about what to have at breakfast. And assessing the current situation, we are left with very few options.
Here is a simple and easy recipe for baking bread at home with endless variations.
Although bread is very forgiving and we need to follow the steps to make it correct. Once the dough is set right, we can make any kind of variation.
So, let us understand how to bake bread at home –
Here is the list of ingredients required –
- One packet of dry yeast
- 2 cups of warm water
- 3.5 tablespoon of sugar
- One tablespoon salt
- Two tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
Now, that we have told what all ingredients will be required, we will move on how to bake bread –
Steps to bake bread –
There are multiple steps for this recipe; hence, we have broken it down into workable categories for better planning.
Step 1 – Mix the bread dough
-The first step in any bread baking recipe is to make the dough.
– Gather all the dry ingredients and pour the warm water in a large bowl.
– Stir the dry yeast until it is dissolved properly.
– Add salt, sugar, and milk to the bowl and stir until everything is mixed properly.
– Now, is the time to mix only 2 cups of flour. If required, you can add one more spoon.
Also Read:-Different Types Of Cake Baking Methods
Step 2 – Prepare and bake the bread dough
– Once you have mixed the bread dough, it is time to bake it. This is slightly difficult since, but after practice and using the right technique, you will get a hold of it.
– Turn the dough into a floured bread and knead it for 10 minutes. Add a small spoon of flour as required, until the dough is soft and smooth. You may need all the flour or a little more.
– Grease the bowl with butter, put the dough in that, and cover it with a sheet.
– Keep the bowl in a warm area for about 1 hour.
– Punch down the dough and knead it for five more minutes.
– Preheat oven to 375 F and set the dough to an oven utensil. Cover it for 30 minutes and keep it aside.
– After 30 minutes, give shape to dough.
– Once everything is done, place it in the oven for about 45 minutes.
– Turn out the loaf and let it cool down.
– Serve and enjoy!
Few pointers to remember. –
– Bread is always made in a hot kitchen.
– It is very important to do proofing. In winters, proofing takes a lot of time. So here is the trick
–Place the dough bowl on top of the oven while you set it for preheating.
– Water content depends on the climate, so adjust accordingly.
– Muslin cloth is best to use to cover the bread for proofing.
– Sugar is the food for the yeast, hence, use it well.
You can add a few variations, such as
-Add cinnamon with brown sugar and spread it on the dough before rolling to make Cinnamon pull-apart bread.
-Add garlic powder with cheese to make Garlic Bread.
-Add oregano, basil, rosemary, olives, chili flakes to make herbed bread or focaccia.
-Shape the dough round to make buns.
-Add sesame seeds to make grissini or add semolina to make English Buns.
-Add egg and milk in the process and braid the dough to make Hefezopf and give a dash of egg wash.
Now, its time to bring out the culinary skills and try something new. Meanwhile, share this with your friends and family and stay home and stay safe.