10 Tips To Store Your Gumpaste Flowers In Monsoon
The monsoon is approaching, and unlike other baker I am worried too. Many of us find it difficult to store our trial work during monsoons, especially the gumpaste flowers. Gumpaste flowers add a wonderful artistic touch to cakes. Surely they look beautiful; but the time investment in making those flowers is a lot. And if stored correctly they can last long
Here are few pointers that can help you keep your gumpaste flowers intact this rainy season.
1) Make sure when you create the flowers you dry them completely. It might take around
12-24 hours, but have patience.
2) Thicker petals take longer to dry, so roll them as thin as possible.
3) Keep moisture away, so let them dry in cool, dry and dark place.
4) Do not keep touching and checking flowers while they are drying.Your fingers may be
damp and dirty.
5) If it has already started raining in your places try and dry the flowers in a hot box.
What is Hot box?
A hot box could be a square box made out of regular plywood or even cardboard with the hole on top that can hold a yellow bulb. I have created one for myself using regular ply. Incase you don’t want to invest that amount of energy and time, just place your flowers under s study lamp which uses the old fashioned yellow bulb. Why am I stressing on yellow bulb is cause these days we mostly opt for led bulb that’s save us on board bills. These yellow bulbs emit heat that can be used for drying flowers Make sure the distance between the bulb and flowers is atleast 12-15 inches or little more.
6) After drying store these flowers in a airtight box lined with tissue paper and dusted with
7) During the rainy season redust the flowers with cornflour every 15 days.
8) Use some padding, like bubble wrap/ synthetic cotton to keep delicate flower petals safe
from injury when in storage.
9) Do not dust the flowers while storing as it fades away with time. While storing if the box is
exposed to light and heat the dust will fade away making it look dull. So a smarter way out
is to color your gumpaste in light shades and dusts the flowers when needed.
10) Attach a folded silver foil underneath every flower (if assembled) so that they retain their
So, don’t avoid orders with flowers this monsoon. Be smart and stock them correctly.