"Four steps to achievement: Plan purposefully. Prepare prayerfully. Proceed positively. Pursue persistently. "
- William Arthur Ward
Indian handicrafts is an art of making crafts by hand in India is called Indian handicrafts. In ancient India people lived in colonies called tribals and they were used to make utility items for their daily need, that art of making the crafts called handicrafts, and the items called handicrafts goods.
A handicraft, sometimes more precisely expressed as artisanal handicraft , is any of a wide variety of types of work where useful and decorative objects are made completely by hand or by using only simple tools. The crafts of India are diverse, rich in history and religion. The craft of each state in India reflect the influence of different empires. India is one of the major producer and supplier of handicrafts since very long time.
Handicrafts can be defined as products which are produced either completely by hand or with the help of tools. Mechanical tools may be used as long as the direct manual contribution of the artisan remains the most substantial component of the finished product. Handicrafts are made from raw materials and can be produced in unlimited numbers. Such products can be utilitarian, aesthetic, artistic, creative, culturally attached, decorative, functional, traditional, religiously and socially symbolic and significant.
1.Traditional handicrafts of India
- Brass Handicrafts
- Bamboo Handicrafts etc..
2.Importance of handicrafts
- Handicraftis very important because represents our culture and tradition. It promotes the heritage of a country through the use of indigenous materials and it preserves traditional knowledge and talents. It plays a significant & important role in the country’s economy. It provides employment to a vast segment of craft persons in rural & semi urban areas and generates substantial foreign exchange for the country, while preserving its cultural heritage.
- Handicraft holds a special place in the economy of a nation and the morale of the common man
- Handicraft has since evolved into complex forms in different cultures, creating unique signatures of mankind’s most primal activity – to deliver meaning through handiwork.
3.Benefits of handicrafts
- Availability of raw materials
- Make money with self employment
- Strengthens the economic growth
- Minimum investment
- Improves the creativity and skills
- Production flexibility
- Extensive product range
- Wood ware
- Metal ware
- Bamboo products
- Jute products
- Leather products
5.Different types of handicrafts in India
It is a form of handicrafts in India which includes useful items such as trays, baskets
It is famous due to durability of brass items. Brass items such as vases, table taps, pierced lamps, toys, wine glasses
The production of weaving fabrics from sets of two threads warp and weft is called weaving.
Wood handicrafts were prevalent in India long before stone sculptures came into existence.
Characteristics of handicrafts
- They are the use of simple implements of labour, the decisive importance of the artisan’s skill, which makes possible the production of high-quality, artistic goods, and small-scale production, in which the artisan works alone or with an extremely limited number of assistants.
- Demand is generally income-elastic
- Demand is some what price-inelastic giving exporters the opportunity to extract relatively high unit values.
- As we all are aware of the fact of how incredible and diverse our land India is and the one thing we possess is how rich we are in our culture and art.
Problems faced by handicrafts artisans
- A major impact of the GST was seen on the Indian handicrafts industryand the people in this industry were burdened by the compliances of the GST law. The GST Council meeting has come up with a number of relieving solutions to the handloom and handicraft industry of India.
- The handicrafts and handloom sector not only provides low investment income opportunities for families in the rural sector but also supplements their incomes in the off-season of agriculture. The products in this sector remain vulnerable to competition from cheaper imports and machine-made substitutes
- These factors need to be addressed urgently, systematically and comprehensively and we must give more attention to development of capacity, skills, designs and infrastructure
The Indian Handicraft Industry stands a unique place among all other industries. It represents the rich culture, tradition and heritage of India. India’s rich cultural diversity and heritage provides a unique and huge resource for developing craft products. Most of the part of industry operates in rural and semi urban areas throughout the country and have large and potential in Indian & International market. The word Indian Handicraft is in itself is a mirror image of our distinguished art blended culture and our well-built traditions. Lack of awareness of international and new trends and poor promotional campaigns are a few drawbacks of industry which needs to be overcome. It is estimated that Handicraft Industry in India is all set to grow with rapid rate in future and contribute its share towards economic development handsomely.